The other day I received my new sales catalog from Cabelas, and on the back was some nice pretty pictures of camp chef stoves…..the one that caught my eye was the Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven.
Now really……..a portable outdoor camp oven for camping?
So, I decided to check these Camp Chef stoves out and see what they were all about.
First, I wanted to find out about Camp Chef……..Camp Chef was launched in 1990 with the thought that there had to be a better way to cook outdoors.
Along with the camp chef stoves, they also market:
- portable fire pits
- dutch ovens
- camp lighting
Okay, now some info about this Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven…….
First off, this is a rather bulky camp item.
Not really ideal for car camping or backpacking!
It ‘s more suitable for tent camping out of your truck or set up at a base camp.
The Outdoor Camp Oven features:
- more than 14,000 total BTU of cooking energy
- Twin burners and a spacious oven -plenty of power to get your cooking/baking done the way you like it, right there in camp
- The unit uses a disposable 1-lb. propane tank, or it can be adapted to use a 20-lb. tank for increased cooking time
- dual burners put out a whopping 5,300 BTU per burner
- oven heats at 3,000 BTU per hour with a maximum temperature of 400°F
- Two oven racks allow you to cook your main meal and dessert at once.
Most of the reviews that I read about these camp chef stoves were pretty favorable. With the dual top burners and the added benefit of the oven, any chief cook and bottle washer would be ecstatic……The oven makes it possible to cook biscuits,cakes,casserole’s etc…….. a breeze.
But……just be aware of some of the drawbacks of the outdoor camp oven……
- It’s hard to get an accurate temp in the oven
- without the carry case (an additional charge) it’s bulky to carry around
- the recessed handles makes it difficult to carry or move.
- top burners tend to blow out during windy conditions
Overall, I think that with a little practice, using this outdoor camp oven can make your next camping trip ………delicious!!!!
Go on over to Amazon and check out what other campers have to say about using their Camp Chef outdoor oven.
Have you tried using one of these camp chef stoves……..if so, let me know what you think.